Earth Day is coming up!
It just so happens that it coincides with our Recycling unit. Our school is trying to find new ways to go Green. Here is my contribution:
The Toilet Paper Roll Seed Cup
They are super simple to make. And all the kids have toilet paper roles at home, so everyone can contribute. I ask parents to donate soil and seeds as well.
Here are the steps:
1) Take an empty toilet paper roll. Cut inch long slits (3-4) in the bottom.
2) Fold the flaps over.
3) Push the flaps into the tube.
4) From the top, press the flaps down so the tube sits flat.
5) Now fill with soil and plant your seeds!
6) I put mine in a plastic bin. It keeps them all together and I can move it easily to chase the sun in my windows! I use popsicle sticks to label with their name.
7) Watch them grow! Be careful not to over water or the cup gets moldy. Ick.
Once the seedlings are big enough you can transplant the entire cup into the ground/pot! We usually send them home in a decorated tin can (look HERE for a tutorial!).